Wednesday 19 March 2014

Structure and a self-imposed challenge

As someone who currently works from home, I find that a certain amount of structure to my working week is necessary.  If you follow me on Facebook, you'll know that I spend Wednesdays in my hubby's workshop, wrestling his and my paperwork into shape and doing all the other admin tasks I put off during the rest of the week - listing in my online shops and writing this blog among them.


During the rest of the week, I start work by 9, make sure I take a break for lunch and work through until at least 5.30 (and usually later in the evening - you know what it's like when you work for yourself!).  This works for me.  I don't allow myself to get tempted by that book I'm dying to finish, or wander off to play cook in the kitchen.  That's not to say I can't if I really want to (and I'm not under pressure with commissions), but I generally don't.  This is a job - one I love, I can't deny it - but one that needs to pay my bills or I'll have to give it up.  So I'm utterly committed to making it work. :)

I'm interested to know what your own work ethic is, if you work from home?  Do you work 'office hours', or have a more relaxed schedule?  What works for you?

Along the theme of self-discipline and having daily/weekly tasks, I'm going to set myself a mini challenge - I'm going to make one pair of earrings every (working) day for the whole of April.  Would anyone like to join in?  It could be any task you'd like to set yourself daily, and you can share the results here or on my Facebook page if you'd like to.  :) 

Something tells me I'll be sick of the sight of earrings by the end of April ... nah, that'll never happen. ;)  I'd best get making earwires in preparation, though ...




6 comments:

Unknown said...

Since I got my first studio (after eldest son moved out) & people started wanting to buy my beads. I have worked day & night. The housework is something that now gets left till it's unbearable. Yet I used to be very house proud!!

Recently though I have found it has consumed too much of my time, energy & has left me feeling ill. So for the past couple of weeks I have slowed my working pace right down. I still pop in my studio when the mood takes me but for now the pressure I was putting myself under has had to go.

Unknown said...

Heavens Louise you frightened me then,the phrase "Something tells me I'll be sick of the sight of earrings by the end of April", just jumped off of the page. Glad I slowed down and read it all again slowly!

Louise said...

Aw, you musn't work yourself into the ground, Angie - it's hard to stop though, isn't it? x

Lol, Christine! I could feel the panic from here! You know me, I love making earrings - you notice I didn't challenge myself to a ring a day, or anything terrible! ;)

LostnThought said...

As I am just getting started with trying to sell the items I make I am struggling with this big time. I still work a full time job and I find myself spending too much time looking at inspiration and not enough time creating. I really need to get better structured with my time management if I plan to be successful with this venture!

Louise said...

I was working full-time and building the jewellery business up until October last year - all I can say is that I had NO free time. I know how difficult it is when you're working as well, but it can be done - keep up the good work, I have my fingers crossed for you! :)

Sally Anderson said...

Congratulations on having wonderful self-discipline. I try to make myself stick to a schedule and never really succeed. It's hard but you're doing it so very well!!!